". . .there is nothing you can buy, achieve, own, or rent that can fill up that hunger inside for a sense of fulfillment and wonder. But the good news is that creative expression, whether that means writing, dancing, bird-watching, or cooking, can give a person almost everything that he or she has been searching for: enlivenment, peace, meaning, and the incalculable wealth of time spent quietly in beauty. "-Anne Lamott


I wonder, as I read these words, if this idea is taught in schools?  Is it even considered when designing curriculum?  A nine year old girl that I met this weekend told me she wants to be a dentist when she grows up.  Cool, I thought.  I've never heard that from a child.  So I asked her why that interested her.  She said she'd heard they make a lot of money.  Sigh.  Surely some dentists are inspired and fulfilled by their work, but doubtful that they got into it for the salary. 

Comments

Popular Posts