I'm feeling kinda fed up with precious.  It seems to be everywhere, cultivated as though it might save us from our certain deaths.  I don't know if this makes sense to any of you and maybe it's my own sort of defense mechanism, but I don't want to see any more flower brooches or perfectly placed antique metal letters on mantels or sweet little handmade anything.  I'm not in the mood for sunny dispositions or looking on the bright side or pictures of clouds.  I don't want cupcakes decorated with spots and stripes or handmade invitations or pennants made from scraps of fabric.  The adjectives super, sweet, and lovely shouldn't describe baked goods, crafts or people's personalities anymore.  Badass, curt and blazingly honest seem much better.

If I were a teenager, today would be the day I'd get a tattoo.

I read a book this weekend that could, another day, be called sweet and lovely and the description would be right, but today I will call it courageous for its quietness and badass for its smarts:  A GOOD HOUSE by Bonnie Burnard.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts