pickling red onions has become one of my favorite things to do.  partly because i know that i'll get to eat them later--on a salad with goat cheese and walnuts and what could be better than that!?!?--but also because making them is one of those rare tasks that is incredibly simple but feels really sophisticated in a domestic kind of way.  somehow having a jar of homemade pickled anything in the fridge feels incredibly satisfying.  and now that i've written all of that down, i realize how this is exactly the kind of thing one should not declare in public.  not unless you want everyone under the age of twenty-five to start snickering.  i can see my 12 year-old's eyes rolling.  kill me now, she'd be thinking.  if that ever becomes one of my favorite things to do, i will know it's time to go.  yep.  that's me.  not really caring about the shame i should be feeling.  that's me going to put on the kettle and unscrew the vinegar.  didn't i say something about a precipice?

image found here
  

Comments

Popular Posts