everything matters


While at Anthropology, shopping for doorknobs (?) I had to restrain myself from buying a certain blue and black blouse.  I was with T.  He held my hand as we exited and I said to him, but mostly to myself, "I don't need that.  I don't need that.  It's not like it will change my life.  Right?"
"Actually, Mom," he said, full of 8 year-old wisdom, "everything matters.  Like, right now, if I said it instead of and, that would change what happens in my brain, which could change what I say next and could change absolutely everything."
"Hmm," I said.  "You're right.  Maybe if I bought that blouse and wore it, I would be the victim of a case of mistaken identity and attacked.  Or be seduced by a royal prince and end up living in the hills of Portugal.  Either way, I wouldn't be here having this conversation with you.  Which would be really terrible."
"Let's go to the Apple store and see what that will change," he said.
Point taken.  But I didn't get the blouse. . .

Comments

Popular Posts